On August 17 and 18, Riga residents and guests will be able to use public transport (buses, trams, trolleybuses and minibuses) free of charge, except express buses, night transport and the Retro tram. On Saturday, August 17, during the old car show in Kalpaka Boulevard, some public transport routes will be changed.
On August 17 and 18, because of the possible increase in passenger flow during Riga City Festival, the public transport traffic will be adjusted to festive events. Vehicles of larger capacity will serve some routes, and additional runs will be organized in conformity with passenger flow.
On August 17, public transport on some routes will run from the city centre until 2:00 a.m. to cover most city districts and ensure the transportation of passengers to and from festive events.
Additional public transport runs will be organized:
- on bus routes No. 3, 11, combined 12/23/26 (via Akmens bridge), 18, 24, 25, 37, 40, 50, 51 and 53;
- tram routes No. 1, 5, 7, 10 and 11;
- trolleybus routes No. 9, 14, 15, 17, 18, 22 and 27.
On Saturday, from 12:00 and until 13:00, the following changes will be made in public transport routes due to the old car show in Kalpaka Boulevard:
- Trolleybus route No. 1 will be closed during the event. It is planned that the last run from terminal „Pētersalas Street” will depart at 11:13 and from terminal „Valmieras Street” at 11:36.
- Trolleybus No. 19 will run from terminal „Ziepniekkalns” to Inženieru Street. It is planned that the last run from terminal „Ziepniekkalns” will depart in the direction of Pētersalas Street at 10:59, and from terminal „Pētersalas Street” to Ziepniekkalns at 11:40.
- Bus No. 2 will run in the direction from Vecmīlgrāvis by the route to Pulkveža Brieža Street, then along Pulkveža Brieža Street, Elizabetes Street, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street and further by the route. In the direction from Abrenes Streets, the bus will go by the route to Kalpaka Boulevard, then along Kalpaka Boulevard, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street, Sporta Street, Vesetas Street, Hanzas Street, Pulkveža Brieža Street and further by the route. In the direction of Vecmīlgrāvis, passengers will get off/on the bus at Hanzas Street, before its crossing with Pulkveža Brieža Street (there will be special public transport stop sign).
- Bus No. 24 will run from Mangaļsala by the route to Pulkveža Brieža Street, then along Pulkveža Brieža Street, Elizabetes Street, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street and further by the route. In the direction from Abrenes Street, the bus will run by the route to Kalpaka Boulevard, then along Kalpaka Boulevard, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street, Sporta Street, Hanzas Street and further by the route. Passengers going in the direction of Mangaļsala will get off/on in Sporta Street, before its crossing with Skanstes Street (there will be special public transport stop sign).
- Bus No. 20 will run from Pļavnieki cemetery by the route to Bruņinieku Street, then along Bruņinieku Street, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street, Sporta Street, Vesetas Street, Hanzas Street, Pulkveža Brieža Street and further by the route.
The buses will stop at all stops located on the bypass route. For buses No. 2 and 24 running in the direction from Veccmīlgrāvis and Mangaļsala, stop „Elizabetes Street” will be closed and in the direction from Abrenes Street stops „Medical Museum”, „Dzirnavu Street” and „Sporta Street” will be also closed (only for bus No. 24). On bus route No. 20, stops „Ģertrūdes Street”, „Esplanade”, „Medicīnas muzejs” and „Dzirnavu Street” will be closed in the direction from Pļavnieki cemetery.
After the end of the event, the above public transport will return to its normal routes.
We also inform that a traditional parade of old cars is planned to start at 11:15 in Riga streets between. The cars will go from Riga Motor Museum to Kalpaka Boulevard, and at 13:15 from Riga to Rundāle castle. Public transport traffic may be hindered during the above periods.
On August 17 and 18, due to events in the recreation area on Lucavsala, bus No. 40 going to Ziepniekkalns will stop at the „Lucavsala” stop.
If during the fireworks on Saturday public transport traffic via Akmens Bridge is closed, bus No. 22 will run to stop „Central Railway Terminal”, then turn about to go in the opposite direction in Gogoļa Street, Marijas Street (turns about to go back in Railway Terminal Square like Bus No. 8), then go along Gogoļa Street, Lāčplēša Street, Salu Bridge, Mūkusalas Street, Akmeņu Street, Valguma Street, Uzvaras Boulevard and further by the route. Stops „13th January Street” and „Grēcinieku Street” will not be served, and the bus will not atop at the „Central market” stop when going in the direction of the airport. The bus will stop at the „National Library” intercity bus stop at Uzvaras Boulevard.
After the fireworks, the public transport going to Pārdaugava via Akmens Bridge will stop at stop „Grēcinieku Street”.
On Sunday, August 18, additional runs will be organized on the following public transport routes until the end of the events:
- on bus routes No. 37, 40 and 53;
- on tram routes No. 1, 5, 7, 10 and 11;
- on trolleybus routes No. 9, 14, 15, 17, 18, 22 and 27.